Are you or a group interested in volunteer opportunities in the autism community? Would you like to really make a difference in the life of someone else and have fun while doing it?
As the rate of autism steadily increases worldwide, so does the need for services for these individuals and their families. The Autism Society of North Carolina is committed to serving these individuals through a variety of programs including Camp Royall. Camp Royall is the nation’s oldest and largest camp program for people on the autism spectrum, serving individuals on the autism spectrum and their families year round.
Located near Pittsboro, NC, Camp Royall is a 30-minute trip from Chapel Hill and Raleigh. We are seeking volunteers for a variety of duties, from office work, repairs, and building to working with campers and families of individuals on the autism spectrum. No autism experience is necessary, just a positive attitude and lots of enthusiasm!
Volunteer at one of our year-round Programs at Camp Royall
During our year-round events volunteers can assist our staff to set up and clean up activities and events geared towards individuals on the autism spectrum, including arts and crafts, group games and outdoor activities!
- Family Fun Days/Family Camping Weekends - We offer three Family Fun Days in the spring, and three in the fall each year. Family Fun Days provide opportunities for families with an individual on the autism spectrum to enjoy all that camp has to offer and to have fun together in a safe and welcome setting.
- Mini-Camp Weekends - We offer three Mini-Camp Weekends in the spring, and three in the fall. Mini-Camp Weekends provide an outdoor camp experience for people on the autism spectrum of all ages, as well as providing families with much-needed respite.
- Week-Long Year-Round Camps - We offer overnight camps during the spring, fall, and winter breaks from school. These are outdoor camp experiences for school-age individuals on the autism spectrum as well as providing families with much-needed respite.
- Afterschool Program - Our Afterschool Program runs every weekday from 3 p.m. until 6 p.m. for school-age individuals on the autism spectrum.
- Summer camp - We offer 10 week-long sessions, from May to August, of residential summer camp and day camp for individuals with autism, from age 4 through older adults.
Other Volunteer Opportunities
Maintenance work - We also look for volunteers to help us maintain our facility and our program, these tasks may include lawn mowing, painting, trail clearing, office work (filing, data entry, shredding), creating materials for our programs and other general maintenance tasks.
If you or a group is interested in volunteering for a single-day or half-day project, Camp Royall is also in need of groups to help with other service throughout the year. From small group building projects to helping us to prepare for our summer season, we have a multitude of available volunteer opportunities to suit a variety of interests!
Donations and Fundraising
If your group has difficulty scheduling a date to come and volunteer, you can also help sponsor a camper to come to camp! Because Camp Royall provides a 1:1 or 1:2 counselor-to-camper ratio, it is difficult for some families to afford to send their children to camp. By sponsoring a child, you can directly improve the life of someone on the autism spectrum and their family!
Please click here to complete the individual volunteer application. In addition to a completed volunteer application, we require at least two references to be submitted so that you might secure an ongoing volunteer position with Camp Royall. You can download the reference form here.
If you want to organize a group volunteer project, please click here to complete our group volunteer application.